Sunday, May 2, 2010

Who Are We?

I always knew that I needed a higher source in my life to help me make the right decisions and help me get through difficult trials. With very much gratitude to my faith, I was able to obtain that help and still do. What amazed me is that I also needed that higher source when I started working out and running. I say this like I am this great body builder and have the sexiest body ever or am this amazing athlete. Trust me I don't and I am not. I would love to make it more of a priority but right now my family is.

When I started training for my first marathon, I didn't use an iPod because I wanted to be able to listen to my surroundings and make sure I was safe since Milton had pretty much no sidewalks and a lot of trees. 18 miles at 8 am on Saturday morning can become pretty solitary and boring for sure. There were many times that I retold myself stories of my life experiences (high school, when I got accepted to College, when Kevin proposed, etc). Silly things that helped me think of something else than of how tired I was, how much my knees hurt, and how much I wanted to call Kevin and have him pick me up. After I ran out of stories, I turned to prayer because the pain was definitely kicking in. It was incredible to see how quickly I had forgotten to pray and had distracted myself with other trivial matters.

After a while, I made it an priority to always pray before I left for a run. I prayed so that I could be safe, so that I could be guided down the right streets that no harm would come upon me, that I would not hunger sooner than expected, that my pain would be tolerable, that I could accomplish my distance goal, that my children would be good for my dear husband while I was gone, that I would always have the Spirit to be with me. The day of my marathon, at mile 23 I thought I would just fall apart. Everything hurt! It was cold and my knees were locking and my flat feet felt as if I was hitting pavement barefoot. I remember praying to my Father in Heaven that he would ease my pain and allow me to cross that finish line. I didn't want to walk and I definitely didn't want to stop. As I closed my prayer, it was a miracle to feel all the pain subside. I felt nothing but the weather. I was able to pick up the pace as the beautiful words "FINISH LINE" stared at me with motivation. I crossed that finish line at 5 hours and 39 minutes. Every pain returned and tears streaked my face. I knew then that I could never run again without acknowledging that Higher Source. Without thanking Him for creating such a marvelous body with marvelous organs and marvelous stamina.

Since then, I choose my music carefully. Don't want anything to turn away the Spirit. I pray before, during, and after. And I feed my body as well as I can to show my appreciation for the things that it can do.

Below is a link to a talk by Elder Russell M. Nelson. He is a servant of God but also a physician and has truly taught me to realize that I am a child of God and was given this body as a gift. Therefore, I should always take care of it both physically and spiritually.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=3555556975cba110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=024644f8f206c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD
"A firm understanding of body and spirit will shape our thoughts and deeds for good."
"How should these truths influence our personal behavior? We should gratefully acknowledge God as our Creator. Otherwise, we would be as guilty as goldfish swimming in a bowl, oblivious to the goodness of their provider. “Ye must give thanks unto God,” said the Lord, “for whatsoever blessing ye are blessed with” (D&C 46:32). And we can practice virtue and holiness before Him continually.
We will regard our body as a temple of our very own. We will not let it be desecrated or defaced in any way. We will control our diet and exercise for physical fitness."
"Who are we? We are children of God. Our potential is unlimited. Our inheritance is sacred. May we always honor that heritage—in every thought and deed."

2 comments:

  1. I think I feel closer to the spirit and more ready to listen when I am running. I love to run with partners, but there is nothing like the amazing things that happen when you commune in the wee hours of the morning! Makes me want to run! It also makes me remember why I like to run without the two sweet little kiddies of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doorly I am excited about your blog. I really like running and Kathleen has also inspired me. Isn't she amazing? I am also glad to hear how you really feel about running- that it is hard. Some people make it look easy, but for me it is hard, and yet I love it at the same time!

    ReplyDelete