Saturday, May 1, 2010

Welcome to Heart and Sole

I am really excited about starting this blog. Running has inspired me in so many ways. This gives me the opportunity to help inspire others and encourage them to reach their physical potential.

This is a little melodramatic but there are a few people I need to acknowledge before I begin this blog.

Brent and Kathleen Clawson played a huge role in motivating me to run my first marathon. When Joey was 18 months old, I decided to lose the rest of the pregnancy fat and did that by running and strength training. I lost 15 lbs, was very excited and pleased, and then I became pregnant with Emma. Oh well! After I had Emma, I vowed that I would never wait that long to get back into shape. A week after Emma was born I ran my first mile in 20 minutes. Kevin called it brisk walking. Obviously he has never had a baby before. Kathleen was in my ward in Derwood, MD and she was very helpful with Joey while I was on bed rest. Somehow I found out that she was a runner and we started talking. She invited me to run with her and the rest was history. She was so patient and motivating. We took our children in our baby strollers and either hit the streets or the trail. In April 2009 we did the Marine Corps Run a Muck in Quantico (4 mile obstacle course) where we crawled in mud, ropes, huge hills, and had a lot of fun. Never once did she get annoyed at my slow pace. In January we ran the 2010 Walt Disney World Marathon. She went ahead because she is much faster, but her husband stayed behind with me. If he wasn't there I probably would have never finished. I plan to run with them again in 5 years no matter where I am. So Kathleen, thank you for your patience, wisdom, encouragement, and running skills!
Of course, my husband. At first he wasn't the biggest fan about me running. He just knew how hard it was and he was right. At the time I wasn't physically or mentally ready. He knew that and I didn't. When I did get serious about it, I made him vow that he would never discourage me. He did quite the opposite. He made sure I was up bright and early to complete my long runs. We started Friday Family Fun Run and took the double stroller and ran with our kids. He watched the children without complaint, tolerated low calorie meals, and was there at the finish line. He is my biggest fan and I am his.
Emily, Camie, Dixie, Ana, Shirley, Jessica P, Rhiannon, Luz have all run with me at one time or another. Our friendships are priceless to me. Dr. Ryan Peterson and Dr. Ryan Rigby. I will be your best patient. Best podiatrists and shoe advice ever. My Mom. She never says that I am fat. She is always so proud of me as I am of her.
Ok, last one. My Heavenly Father. When Kevin was in medical school, I always told him that he needed to stay close to the Spirit. Nobody knows the human body more than its creator. If he was gonna be a successful physician, he needed to gain secular as well as spiritual knowledge to achieve that. I did the same while I ran. My Father in Heaven helped me cross that finish line and I know He will help me cross many more. He gives me physical strength when I feel weak and spiritual strength to stay close to Him. I learned so many spiritual lessons during those long runs. I cannot deny those. Therefore I make them a big part of my training.
So have fun! Go out and run. Email me and tell me about it and I will include it in the blog if you would like. Be healthy. Strengthen your heart. Strengthen your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment